Cats and Dogs!
Last Updated on Friday, 20 June 2014 02:58
Written by theglasshousetx
Friday, 20 June 2014 02:58
Have you ever gotten lost in the world of the internet? Have you started with a legitimate Google search about something as simple as “how to fight a cold,” and after a series of rabbit trails and distractions, found yourself googling photos of action figures riding animals? We do it all the time, which you should have noticed if you’ve ever checked out our Facebook page (hint – check it out).
So anyway, rabbit trails like these are really the best explanation we have for why we decided to take on today’s topic of marijuana intoxication in cats and dogs. It’s a weird one, we know. But don’t pretend you’ve never wondered! Can they get high from secondhand smoke? What if someone blows it in their faces? What does it feel like? Does it relax them or give them anxiety? Does it kill their brain cells?
According to Pet Poison Helpline, dogs and cats can be poisoned by marijuana through secondhand smoke or through direct ingestion, with a toxicity level of moderate to severe. Over the past five years, Pet Poison Helpline has never had a marijuana-related pet death reported. A veterinarian in San Francisco, Eric Barchas, says that serious, long-term health consequences from pets ingesting marijuana are rare. So basically, if they’re just getting a little secondhand smoke, it won’t kill them, and likely won’t really hurt them either.
But, tokers should still be careful that their cats and dogs don’t take in too much of the drug. According to Dr. Barchas, symptoms can range from the typical “high” lethargy to anxiety, impaired balance, vomiting or diarrhea, and loss of bladder control. Although the drug itself may not hurt them, it’s possible that they could injure themselves or become dehydrated due to their lack of coordination.
Barchas also points out that people who know their pet has had exposure to marijuana don’t feel comfortable telling their vet the root of the symptoms. However, it is important to be completely honest with your vet, as their primary concern is for your pet and they probably could care less about your recreational activities. If the vet isn’t aware of the marijuana exposure, the symptoms are so similar to other more serious problems that they may order expensive tests and treatments that are completely unnecessary. So, honesty is the best policy!
- Medical Marijuana Mysteries | The Glass House - Dallas Texas Smoke Shop, Tobacco Pipes & Papers - Powered by Clvr.Tv on Cannabis: Science vs. Politics
- Brandon on Featured Product: Cloud Vaporizer Pen
- Dreaming of a Green Christmas: Holiday Gift Guide for Tokers | The Glass House - Dallas Texas Smoke Shop, Tobacco Pipes & Papers - Powered by Clvr.Tv on Tools to Help You Concentrate